- Cavan Town
- Cavan - North
- Cavan - South
- Cavan - West
- Cavan - East
- Monaghan Town
- Monaghan - Clones
- Monaghan - Ballybay
- Monaghan - Castleblayney
- Monaghan - Carrickmacross
Tearmann is based in the Primary Care Building in Rooskey Monaghan but provides services across Cavan and Monaghan
- Service provided at various locations throughout the area covered
- People can self-refer / access the service directly (without the need for a referral)
- Parents / guardians can refer
- Through GP
- Through schools
- Through Tusla Child and Family Social Workers
- Through other Tusla services (e.g. Education Welfare Service)
- Through HSE services (e.g. Psychology, Speech & Language, Public Health Nurses, HSE Social Work / other HSE health professionals)
- Through other statutory services (e.g. County Council, Gardaí, Probation Services, ETB, etc.)
- Through other community / voluntary services (e.g. Family Resource Centre / youth organisation / Sligo Social Services, etc.)
- Under-18s need parental permission
- Early years (0-6 years)
- Primary school age (4-12 years approx.)
- Post-primary school age (13-18 years approx.)
- Young adults (18-24 years)
- Adults (25-64 years)
- Adults (65+ years)
- Other (please specify)
Tearmann is an Irish word meaning Sanctuary. This website starts off with information about our service, defining domestic abuse and the effects of this abuse on women and their children. It then becomes a guide to what options are there for you. This guide is designed to empower and enable you to take the steps necessary for your safety. You do not need to do this alone.
Tearmann believe that domestic abuse is a serious crime against women. Its presence has been continually disbelieved and ignored in our society. Victims can be made to feel ashamed, isolated and often responsible for the abuse. We believe that every woman has the right to an abuse free relationship. We encourage abused women to take control over their own lives. We provide information and support to women, but never impose our own solutions on them. We believe the crime of domestic abuse crosses all social boundaries and that any woman can be a victim. Therefore, the organisation is non‑sectarian and non‑racist regardless of class, creed, sexual orientation or physical ability.
Our overall Mission is to contribute to the elimination of domestic abuse in County Monaghan and County Cavan through the provision of support, information and awareness raising. We seek to break the silence surrounding the cycle of abuse so that women will be empowered to explore and make appropriate choices that will impact positively on themselves and their children.
We believe that Domestic Abuse is a crime that should not be tolerated by society; and it is both a civil and human right to be treated with equality and respect within relationships.
We wish to break the silence surrounding the cycle of abuse so that women will be empowered to explore and make appropriate choices that will impact positively on themselves and their children.
Tearmann offer a secure, caring environment where a woman can feel free to tell her story. For many women, this will be the first time she has spoken openly about her situation. She is supported in coming to terms with the realisation that she is experiencing Domestic Abuse and she is not alone in her experience as it crosses all social, religious, educational and economic boundaries.
In a non-judgmental atmosphere a woman is provided with relevant information on the services available to her. She has the freedom to explore options which enables her to make an informed decision on her future, whether this is to remain in the situation or pursue legal options available to her.
Remember domestic abuse thrives on secrecy. You, the victim, pay the price for the silence, not the abuser. Break the silence, talk to someone about what’s going on. Telephone or call for a visit. Our services are confidential.
Don’t suffer in silence – There is help available. Whether you just want to talk, or take further action, support and information are available at Tearmann.